Saturday, January 16, 2010

Reasons to be (vegan)


Two weeks of eating vegan, and I'm feeling a little loopy. I keep passing Auntie Anne's pretzel shop and Pagliacci's Pizza, and a buzzing starts in my head: like this whole foods initiative is ludicrous, our society just doesn't eat like this, I will be shut out of every social occasion and what do vegans ever even eat anyway?!

celery, hemp flour, flax, quinoa, mango, and a million bananas...

But then I pick up the book that started this out in the first place, Thrive: The vegan Nutrition Guide by Brendan Brazier, and I remind myself that eating whole foods isn't just good for me; its good for everybody.

Brazier, by the way, is a professional Ironman Triathlete, a feat I could only begin to imagine after having run a marathon myself, as an Ironman includes but is not limited to the typical 26.2 mile foot-race. Add several hours of biking and swimming and you've got your guy. And this is the stuff that he eats: This insanely expensive hemp oil, agave, sea vegetables like dulse and nori, "pies" made of sunflower seeds and dates, "pizzas" made of sweet potatoes and beets, and muffins stuffed with millet. To top it off, his thesis generally states that the refined foods we consume as an alternative to his wacky diet stress our bodies to a point of sickness: we can't sleep, we crave stimulants instead of nutrients, we are ill or gain weight or feel depressed and disoriented. As someone who does not enjoy feeling disoriented and would like to run a marathon with greater ease, why the hell not throw a little ground flax in my cereal? I've even convinced Patrick (who has loved millet since his four-month stay in Russia) that sprouting quinoa on a napkin can be fun.

Add this to the environmental perks: approx. 30% less energy used to maintain a plant-based diet, and you really can't go wrong. Refinement is fine when it comes to dinner parties. But for now, for me, I'm giving it a rest.

And I really did have the most delicious pizza last night: sweet potato, sesame seeds, chickpea flour, coconut oil, garlic, basil, and sea salt in a food processor for the crust. Tomato, onion, bell pepper, beet, green onion and oregano for the topping and an incredible marinara sauce. Please ask for the recipes, or better yet, pick up a copy of the book...

2 comments:

  1. I was vegetarian for about 2 years, but never vegan. I can't imagine cutting all animal products as I simply cannot afford all the supplementation that would be necessary. I do agree though on how much better it is for the environment and for your body to cut out meat at a minimum. I applaud you for what you are doing as it is definitely not easy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What will we ever feed you when you visit? Perhaps you can do all the cooking :)

    ReplyDelete