Friday, March 12, 2010

Body piercing saved my (social) life

All my thoughts this past week can be fit inside a single interaction I had at the grocery store Thursday afternoon.

"I hate to be personal," an elderly woman told me as I rang up her groceries, "But I have to ask: do they mind your piercings here?" I shook my head and explained her to how I had taken my nose and lip stud out for the interview, but was told they would both be allowed upon hire. I've actually had this conversation quite a few times in line, checking groceries. This women was not an atypical Seattlite: tall, slender, eccentrically dressed, grey hair swept up under a neat little woolly cap, with a deep, husky voice and quick, intelligent conversation.

"You know every generation has their rebellion," she told me matter-of-factly, packing wine and ginger into reusable grocery bags. "First its very bad to pierce your nose, and soon it doesn't mean anything, like choosing a blue shirt or pink lipstick." "Wonder what the next generation will do to rebel?" I said. She rolled her eyes, "Oh, probably something really bad. They'll probably be religious."

3 comments:

  1. That's really funny. But I truly doubt that she really hated to be personal!

    On the other hand it is interesting to hear what other people think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my!! That would consume my thoughts too. And probably will...

    ReplyDelete
  3. that's so true Robin. Good point.

    ReplyDelete