Sunday, May 2, 2010

Lonely Roads, Mix CDs

a year or so ago, Pat made me a mix CD (inspired, in part I am sure, by my sister and brother in law who compile clever, incredibly romantic lists of songs to convey their feelings to each other). However, Pat's expressed his relationship not with me, but with God throughout his life. Typical. Anyway, as my own relationship both with faith and the faithful community has turned over afresh I have thought more than once about doing the same. Tonight I'm inspired by Joni Mitchel and her song All I Want, which I'm officially naming as the first song on the list.

It starts:

I am on a lonely road and I am traveling, traveling, traveling
Looking for something, what can it be

Oh I hate you some, I hate you some, I love you some

3 comments:

  1. Interesting (meaning insightful) choice. :-)

    But really? The FIRST one (chronologically) on the list?

    I love you sweet Pea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. who says its chronological order? Aren't there other kinds?

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my favorite songs ever. I love that a love song starts this way... whether talking about a lover or about God. Something about loving is fundamentally lonely and conflicted. What a statement (!), but rings true...

    ReplyDelete