Wednesday, August 11, 2010

And, for the tables...

Its the third day of my new full time work and for the first time, I'm not deliriously tired. In fact, it is so serene and cool sitting here in the living room this morning that I feel the ability to throw together a few more details. Though the morning of the wedding held this feeling of calm sweetness, I can't say the weather was cool.

My mom and sister, Erin had thrown together these table ideas: white clothes with beautiful pink runners and since Laura and I have worked tirelessly (with Patrick, too, of course) to sew orange napkins out of bedsheets, we stuck those in the drinking glasses- the cherry on top. Each runner was set with potted herbs (some of which Erin transplanted into the garden last night)and stuck with a table designator. After some debate we chose fabric prints: stripe, checks, hound's tooth, paisley, argyle for all the professors. The bridal table was eyelet.

We had been there days before, almost all of Thursday, marking in our memories the most shady spots, and though I had envisioned all the tables in some beautiful continuous half-circle, I eventually came to my senses and we clustered them in groups beneath the trees. As it was, several tables all picked up and moved a few times during the party to chase the tree-cover, making me feel that the gesture was appreciated.

Though heavy and humid, there was still a light breeze at around 8 o'clock when I arrived. Erin, her mysterious friend, Robert, my cousin and her best friend, my faithful aunt and of course my mom (my dad and uncle were in St. Louis picking up the sound system) and I went from table to table, laying out the plan, carrying heavy stacks of freshly washed dishes from the barn to lay at each place, trying desperately to keep track of the seating chart, 10 paisleys, 6 polka-dots, 8 plaid. At 9:15 I hurried Erin to the car and we raced back to Greenville to get ready. At 9:30 I had the treat of meeting the caterer! She was staying in our hotel and we found her eating breakfast. What a delight.

3 comments:

  1. So fun to get to read all the details I missed while we were changing diapers and stealing naps...!

    Love you, my married (!) sister!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an eventful four days. It was great, P!

    ReplyDelete